Online video sites

Here is a list of great sites that have online videos, use them in class or for your own revision.

ABC Splash

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?

This is a new website by the ABC which contains educational content for students.

HOW DO I USE IT?

It can be viewed on iPads, it can be viewed on the site, embedded and many of the clips can be downloaded. There is a small selection of clips that can be remixed for students own projects and presentations

There are separate sections for English, Maths, Science and History

Australian Screen

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?

Fantastic site that contains documentaries, newsreels, clips from films and advertisements.

HOW DO I USE IT?

Can use the search, browse by subject under the education tab or type of film at the bottom of the front page.
You can watch the film from the site or some films can be downloaded through the download button under the film as long as you comply with the terms and conditions.

Short films with teachers' notes and in some cases transcripts of the sound. Many categories.

Brain Pop UK

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?

BrainPOP UK is a collection of short animated movies and quizzes. They are great at explaining and simplifying difficult concepts.

HOW DO I USE IT?

You can play films from the site or set films as homework or classwork for kids to watch individually. You can give students the password as our subscription allows any /all students and staff to access their resources 24/7.

Students will need to get the login from their teachers. Many short videos and quizzes to explain key ideas across the curriculum

eMedTV

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?

This site  has clear animated health videos on a number of topics, the site is also excellent for information on illnesses and how the body works.

HOW DO I USE IT?

Must be 13yearolds and over. Can embed and email link but not download.

Khan Academy

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?

Many great concepts explained by teachers and experts on the topics on Maths, Science, Economics, History and Art History

HOW DO I USE IT?

You can watch them on the site, send kids to watch them on the site or download them using the download button under the film.

Excellent explanations of mathematical approaches but it is extending to other disciplines

MathTV

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?
This is a set of short educational videos created by Math teachers and senior students with a whiteboard.
HOW DO I USE IT?
Watch the video on the site, you may not copy or download it.

MIT Blossoms

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?
This is a collection of 50 videos covering maths, engineering physics, chemistry, biology for upper high school students.
HOW DO I USE IT?
Every lesson is a complete resource that includes video segments, a teacher’s guide, downloadable hand-outs and a list of additional online resources relevant to the topic. We carefully craft each BLOSSOMS lesson to make your classroom come alive. Each 50-minute lesson builds on math and science fundamentals by relating abstract concepts to the real world. The lessons intersperse video instruction with planned exercises that engage students in problem solving and critical thinking, helping students build the kind of gut knowledge that comes from hands-on experience. By guiding students through activities from beginning to end, BLOSSOMS lessons give students a sense of accomplishment and excitement.
WHAT DOES IT HAVE?
Professionally made videos from the National Geographic channel. A wider selection than you may expect- geography science, history, art. You do need to use the search function to find the videos
HOW DO I USE IT?
You can show videos directly from the site. Some content is designated as available for download for educational purposes.   The details of allowable use is clearly set out in the Terms of service page.http://www.nationalgeographic.com/community/terms/Videos from the National Geographic channel. A wider selection than you may expect- Geography Science, History, Art. You do need to use the search function to find the videos

PBS

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?
PBS is the American ABC channel. There are heaps of fantastic American videos and documentaries under the categories of Arts and Entertainment, Culture and Society, Health, History, Home and how to , News and Public Affairs, Parents, Science and Nature, Technology (PBS teachers also contains lesson plans.)
HOW DO I USE IT?
Watch films from the site, you may not copy them PBS is the American ABC channel. There are documentaries under the categories of Arts and Entertainment, Culture and Society, Health, History, Home and how to , News and Public Affairs, Parents, Science and Nature and Technology.

Schools World.TV

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?

This site is made by the UK government, ICT, Design, Media, Drama, French, PE, Health, Science
HOW DO I USE IT?
Contains lots of excellent free videos watch, hyperlink or embed, you may not download them.

Teaching Videos

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?
You can search by age range 11-14 or 14-18 or by subject like literacy, maths, Science, ICT, Geography, History, Art, Music, PE.
HOW DO I USE IT?
You can watch, email, hyperlink, embed and download.

TED-ideas worth spreading

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?
On TED are videos of great ideas under the topics of technology, entertainment, design, business, science or global issues. Most are videos of speakers talking to an auditorium of learners.
HOW DO I USE IT?
You can watch them on the site, send kids to watch them on the site or download them using the download button under the film.You can use the  search function or browse under interesting categories of jaw dropping, beautiful or inspiring,  or browse by subject.

TES The largest network of teachers in the world

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?

This is a collection of good videos that are all created for school subjects.
HOW DO I USE IT?
You can access their videos by signing up (free)

WatchKnowLearn

WHAT DOES IT HAVE?
This is a video aggregator of educational videos on the web. Organised by subject. Includes French, ESL, English, Maths, Science, Careers.
HOW DO I USE IT?
Contains lots of excellent free videos to watch, hyperlink or embed, you may not download them.

Flikr Creative Commons

If you show students images or if you  ask students to create an assignment or  Powerpoint with images from the internet you do need to teach them about using images that are permitted.
Write in Flikr Creative Commons into Google. It clearly explains Creative Commons. There are also lots of great info at the Smartcopying website
Choose See more and do a search for the type of photo you want.
Refer to the creator of the photo in your presentation.